An office assistant is those people who work in the lower level position which performs routine jobs to assist the sectional chief and office chief in their daily official works. An office assistant performs their activities according to the direction of a sectional chief. An office assistant supports to implement plans and policies. Nayab, Subba, Kharidar, and Mukhiya are the offices assistances in the government offices. Similarly, assistant, accountant, receptionists, marketing assistance and the computer operator are the office assistance in the business office.
An office assistant is a clerical staff who does all the clerical work of an office. The following are the main functions and duties of office assistant:
Preparing plans for daily worksAn office assistant needs to prepare plans for daily work to complete the official work effectively and conveniently. So, he must make routine plans giving priority to the most important and urgent works. When there is a proper plan for daily work then the official work can be completed at a right time and efficiently. Hence, it's a duty of an office assistant to prepare plans for daily works.
Drafting and typing lettersAn office needs to draft different letters like inquiry letter, complaint letter, reply letter, quotation letter, invitation and as per the requirement and send it to the visitors and customers. So, an assistant must be able to draft a letter in a good manner following all qualities of a letter. An office assistant should draft a letter and then type it properly.
Filing letters and documentsAn office contains many important letters and documents which might be needed at any time. So, the letters and documents should be filed properly. The filing is the process of preserving and arranging the documents systematically for future reference. It's a duty of an assistant to have a knowledge of filing and indexing.
Handling telephoneAn office assistant should be able to handle the telephone call tactfully being polite and courteous. An office receives many calls in a day so it is a duty of an assistant to answer the call and give information. If it is necessary then he should transfer the call to his boss. Hence, it is a duty of an office assistant to handle the calls properly.
Handling the EmailsThe emails which are received and send must be recorded in the entry and dispatch book. An office assistant should process and clear the email as per their requirement. The confidential and urgent letters should be presented to the concerned department by an assistant. An office assistant should be able to handle the emails.
Reminding the chiefAll the important decisions and work are done by the chief. A chief is always busy in making plans, decision, traveling different places, attending and organizing many seminars and meeting. Due to a busy schedule, the chief may forget important events, meetings, appointments so the office assistant should be ready to remind him of time.
Using machinesOffice uses different modern machines to make official work convenient and efficiently. So, an office assistant must be able to use new modern machines and should use machines for doing their official activities like calculator, telephone, computer, fax and so on.
Preparing reportThere must be a record of all expenses, incomes, performances, progress of the office to measure the profit and loss and position of the office. So, the office assistant should prepare reports on daily activities of the office. The assistant should prepare the report and submit it to the office chief or concerned department.
- Office assistant are those people who work in the lower level position.
- Office assistant refers to a subordinate staff that performs routine jobs to assist the sectional chief and office chief in their daily official works.
- The office chief is always busy in preparing plans, making decisions, solving problems and attending meetings and seminars.
Functions and Duties of Office Assistant:
1. Preparing plans for daily works: A plan for daily works means preparing a list or schedule of jobs to be performed daily. The plan or schedule helps the office assistant to perform the daily official works conveniently and effectively. While making a plan for the daily works, he has to give priority for more important and urgent works. He may take guidance from his superior for preparing an effective schedule to perform the daily the daily works.
2. Drafting and typing letters: Drafting a letter means writing it. The office assistant has to draft different types of letters and documents. He has to draft an inquiry letter, reply letter, quotation letter, order letter, complaint letter, invitation letter and greetings letter as per the direction of the superior. To achieve the objectives of drafting the letters, the office assistant should have the sound knowledge of parts and qualities of a good letter. After drafting a letter, he should type it properly.
3. Filing letters and documents: Filing is the process of collecting and preserving important letters and documents in a systematic manner for future reference. The office assistant has to file all the important letters and documents properly for their safety and quick retrieval. In order to maintain files properly, the office assistant should have the sound knowledge of different methods of filing and indexing.
4. Handling telephone: handling the telephone is the process of making and receiving calls. The office assistance should handle all the telephone calls properly. As the telephone rings, the office assistant has to answer to the caller with the necessary information. He has to transfer the important calls to the boss. While handling the telephone, he should be polite, courteous and tactful.
5. Handling the Emails: Handling the email is the process of receiving and sending letters and documents or recording entries and dispatch book. Office assistance should handle all incoming and outgoing emails, letters and documents properly.
6. Reminding the chief: The office chief is always busy in preparing plans, making decisions, solving problems and attending meetings and seminars. He may forget important appointments and other official works. It is the duty of the office assistant to update the appointments of the chief and to remind him of important official works.
7. Using machines: A modern office manages different types of office machines and equipment to perform official activities more conveniently and efficiently. These office machines and equipments assist the office assistant to carry out assigned duties smoothly. Hence, the office assistant should use telephone, calculator, computer, fax and photocopier properly while performing official works.
8. Preparing report: The office assistant has to prepare different types of the report on daily activities of the office. they have to prepare and submit reports regarding office income, expenses, performance, progress and problem of the office to the sectional or office chief. Such types of reports help to make appropriate decisions and controlling the activities of the organization.
The formal educational degree which is awarded by schools or boards or universities is called ______.
Drafting letters means ______.
The process of collecting and preserving important letters and documents in a systematic manner for future reference is called ______.
While handling the telephone, the office assistant should be ______.
Office assistance should handle ______ properly.
all the options are correct
A junior office staff who is assigned a particular work in a particular section to assist the sectional chief carrying out the sectional activities is called ______.
Which one of the office personnel should always be willing to pay attention and devote herself for the service and satisfaction of the visitors and customers?
The private secretary who is to perform all the clerical functions on behalf of the chief is ______.
You scored /8
Any Questions on Office Assistant ?
No discussion on this note yet. Be first to comment on this note