Causative structures indicate that one thing or person causes another thing or person to do something or be something.
Examples of causatives
- Have(give someone the responsibility to do something)
I had John fix the car.
I had my hair cut.
- Make(force someone to do something)
The teacher made the students work in groups.
Our boss made us work extra hours.
- Get(convince or trick someone into doing something)
He got the mechanic to repair the machine.
She got him to read more.
- Let (allow someone do something)
Jane let her son go out.
They let the children play in the yard.
- Sub + have / get + NP+ PP
Example: I get my shoes polished.
- Sub + have + agent + infinitive
Example: I have the teachers teach he students.
- Sub + get + agent + to infinitive
Example: I get teachers to teachthe students.
- Sub + make + Np + adj / infinitive
Example: I make thee teachers teach.